Sunday, 3 April 2011

Retrospace Top Ten Sundays: Top Ten Singles of 1961

Helen Shapiro
A slightly different Top Ten for this week – I thought I’d take a trip back fifty years in my Retrospace TARDIS to discover what the best selling records of 1961 were.

Here’s an interesting list of the top ten best selling records of 1961 provided by BradfordTimeline.co.uk

Top Ten Singles From 1961:

  1. Helen Shapiro - You Don't Know
  2. Elvis Presley - Wooden Heart
  3. Del Shannon - Runaway
  4. Andy Stewart - A Scottish Soldier
  5. Billy Fury - Halfway To Paradise
  6. Eden Kane - Well I Ask You
  7. John Leyton - Johnny Remember Me
  8. Helen Shapiro - Walkin' Back To Happiness
  9. Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou
  10. Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back / Ebony Eyes


Helen meets Ena Sharples from Coronation Street
Fascinating to see the big artist of 1961 (tipping Elvis Presley to the post) was schoolgirl Helen Shapiro who recorded several memorable (and still excellent) records between then and 1963. Helen's records were produced by Norrie Paramor who also produced hits for Cliff, The Shadows and Frank Ifield.  

Helen was supported on her UK package tour in 1963 by a little known group called The Beatles – I wonder what happened to them?

Retrospace Top Ten Sunday Needs You!

I'm looking for your top tens! - if you have a top ten you can contribute, e-mail it to me and I'll feature it on a future Sunday on Retrospace.

As well as featuring your top ten - I will give you a full credit as a guest blogger and a link to your relevant blog or website. Furthermore - you will also get an exclusive Retrospace Top Ten Sunday cut out and keep badge for taking part!

1 comment:

  1. What a surprise Helen being number 1. Mind you it was the year I was born so don’t recall that much about it! For a while I associated Norrie Paramor with the BBC Midland Radio Orchestra as he used to conduct them in the 70s. Didn’t know about the Cliff connection until he died.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...