Saturday, 2 April 2011

Saturday Superstore: Matchbox Cars

Matchbox Advert - TV Comic, 1973
I remember having lots of Matchbox cars as a small boy - I think I must have inherited a lot of them from other children as many had year imprints on them going back to the mid 60s. All well worn, buckled wheels, paint chipped and well loved. The last few I had went on eBay a few years ago, and one of them was the bright yellow roller featured in this advert from 1973.

My particular love of these toys used to be the intricately designed boxes they came in. They never lasted long before one of my parents stood on them or ditched them in the bin after I went to bed - but then again it was supposed to be the toy that mattered.

I had an uncle on Stockton market who would give me one of these toys every time we walked past his stall on a Saturday morning, my Mum ever so proud got quite embarrassed because of this lovely chaps generosity and took an alternate route in the end which seemed rather mean-spirited to me!

Well, I was only six!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...