Monday, 18 July 2011

Mono Mondays: Susan Maughan

Susan Maughan 
I feel some loyalty to Susan Maughan, her being a fellow Northerner (born in Consett, County Durham, 1938) and I've always loved her 1962 hit Bobby's Girl which I remember playing to death amongst all my parents  45's as a kid.

Susan's powerful vocal treatment supplemented with a powerful orchestral backing gave her a timeless hit. 

Unfortunately later releases Hand A Handkerchief to Helen and She's New To You did not achieve the same success but Susan went on to be one of the most memorable stars of the 1960s and still regularly performs today.

I caught Susan at Newport Riverfront a few years back where she featured in a show alongside Dave Dee, Dave Berry, Barry Ryan and Chip Hawkes and she can still sing brilliantly.

Amongst the songs Susan performed that evening were Petula Clark's Downtown and Lesley Gore's It's My Party, however it was Bobby's Girl that she saved till last that gave her the biggest round of applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...