Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Press To Play: Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel

Elvis - Don't Be Cruel RCA Records
Like 8 Track cartridges and Betamax Video Recorders, cassette singles never really caught the imagination of the music buying public.

Unlike a piece of vinyl or a programmable compact disc there was no way of avoiding that dodgy B-Side or instrumental version of the A-Side of the hit as both tracks usually appeared on the same side together (and lets face it by the 1980s - nobody was really that bothered about what appeared on the B-Side of a record anymore!).

Moving on, this release was one of those rare cassette singles which I consider to be more of a glorified Extended Play (EP).

RCA tied in a reissue of Elvis Presley's Don't Be Cruel with his album The Complete Rock N Roll Masters featuring no less than four of the King's classics.

I must have played this cassette to death as it features two of my favourite Presley cuts All Shook Up and Jailhouse Rock. I seem to remember I paid less than a pound for it at The Record Cavern in Richmond, North Yorkshire who had something like sixty tons of cassette singles at the time...

I still haven't got around to buying a decent Elvis compilation on CD yet but I whizzed this on to my MP3 collection a few months back and have to say it transferred really well!

Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel
RCA/BMG (Stereo) 1992
  1. Don't Be Cruel
  2. All Shook Up
  3. Jailhouse Rock
  4. I Need Your Love Tonight (unreleased performance take 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...