Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Press To Play: The Mamas and The Papas 20 Greatest Hits

This issue of The Mamas and The Papas 20 Greatest Hits is a prime example that although we have moved on from the cassette and vinyl formats we are still not always served with good mixes of tracks on CD's.

This cassette which I transferred to MP3 some weeks ago has better mixes of Monday Monday and Dedicated To The One I Love than on the recent similarly titled CD releases.

For instance, Monday Monday and California Dreamin' have the vocals and the music seperated to different channels on the CD while the cassette seems more neatly balanced.

Furthermore, the CD has a much quieter opening on Dedicated... whilst its more audible on the cassette or maybe that's just my mix? Anyhow I much prefer the cassette version which I'll keep on my MP3 player until I find these recordings in mono!

This excellent compilation which seems to be a release MFP did in conjunction with MCA Records features a publicity shot of the group which also featured on several other Mama's and The Papa's Compilations including one I have on ABC Records entitled Hits Of Gold.

The Mamas and The Papas 20 Greatest Hits
(TC MFP 50493)
  1. California Dreamin'
  2. I Saw Her Again Last Night
  3. I Call Your Name
  4. Twist and Shout
  5. Sing For Your Supper
  6. Look Through My Window
  7. Do You Wanna Dance
  8. Dancing In The Street
  9. You Baby
  10. Dedicated To The One I Love
  11. Monday Monday
  12. Words Of Love
  13. Glad To Be Unhappy
  14. Go Where You Wanna Go
  15. Safe In My Garden
  16. Spanish Harlem
  17. Trip Stumble and Fall
  18. My Girl
  19. Creeque Alley
  20. Dream A Little Dream Of Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...