|Arnold Ridley appeared on Desert Island Discs in 1973|
Desert Island Discs premise is that each guest chooses 8 records, a book, and a luxury item that they would take with them if they were stranded on a desert island.
Between 1970 and 1976, five of the seven Dad's Army regulars were cast away on the mythical desert island. On each occasion they were interviewed by the show's creator Roy Plomley. Here are the stars complete with original broadcasting dates and links to the Desert Island Discs archives where you can find out a little more about their choices:
- December 12, 1970 Arthur Lowe
- June 19, 1971 Clive Dunn
- February 17, 1973 John Le Mesurier
- November 3, 1973 Arnold Ridley
- May 15, 1976 John Laurie
Desert Island Discs Guests Who Chose The Dad's Army Theme Song
|David Croft Featured On Desert Island Discs in 1993|
- Henry Blofeld, Cricket Commentator
- Arthur Lowe, Actor, Dad's Army
- Wendy Richard, Actress, EastEnders, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served
- Judith Kerr, Children's writer and illustrator
At the time of writing this article there are still a few notable Dad's Army connections that it would be interesting to see as castaways. Ian Lavender, Bill Pertwee and Jimmy Perry would all make interesting castaways - in the meantime, Happy Birthday Desert Island Discs!