Saturday, 7 April 2012

The First Record I Bought: Part 1

The First LP I bought - The Shadows At The Movies
We all remember our firsts, first kiss... first car... first love... yet for me nothing ever sparks up more conversation than the first record I bought. It can lead to great if not sometimes slightly embarrassing memories, but usually a time which brought happiness and fun in a slightly more innocent period of our lives!

I fell in love with music pretty quickly and remember getting my first album The Shadows 20 Golden Greats for my 9th birthday in 1977. Keen to get my record collection off to a flying start I immediately purchased another Shadows album The Shadows at The Movies (released on Music for Pleasure) and later a Cliff Richard Live! LP (also on MFP).

My 45RPM singles collection got off to a slightly shakier start. My mother gave me a copy of Max Bygraves performing Jingle Bells / Christmas Dream when I was about 5 and the first single I physically bought was Father Abraham and The Smurfs The Smurf Song (I went joint halves with my sister on that). The first single I remember properly buying was Robert De Niro’s Waiting... by Bananarama (maybe I should quit while I’m ahead!).

Anyhow I put the question “What was the first record you bought?” to several people, some famous, some not so famous on the Twittersphere and here’s the first of the responses I got!


Paul McGarvey (Fellow Tweeter):
"Def Leppard - Adrenalize" 

Ceri Garner Jones (Fellow Tweeter):
"Kylie Minogue - Je Ne Sais Pas Pour Quoi"

Anne Leighton (Writer/Publicist)
@LeightonMedia:  "First record I bought: either Peter Paul & Mary Album 1700 or Introducing The Beatles."

Steve Balsamo (Singer/Musician)
@stevebalsamo: "It was the Rocky soundtrack!"

Lucy Owen (BBC Wales Newsreader/TV Presenter) @lucyowenwales: “Think the first single was Orange Juice Rock the Boat, album Bucks Fizz! Shocking!”

Bob Harris OBE (BBC Radio 2 DJ/Old Grey Whistle Test Legend)
@WhisperingBob:"'Diana' by Paul Anka on 78! My first two 45's were 'To Know Him Is to Love Him' by Teddy Bears and Everly Bros 'Problems'”.

Wynne Evans (Classical Singer and Mr Go Compario)
@wynneevans: “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John & Kiki Dee”

Suzanne Langlois (Fellow Tweeter):
Symphonie Fantastique

Chris Townsend (Singer/Musician@christownsenduk: “It was the Beatles Hard Days Night album! I was about 8 years old and had just watched the film!”

Nigella Lawson (Television Food Goddess/ Writer)
@Nigella_Lawson: "Cinderella Rockerfeller: blush".

You can join the discussion on Twitter by either following me retrospaceandy or seeking out the topic #firstrecordbought. 

If you’re not on Twitter, don’t despair, you can add a comment below and I’ll be updating some more tweet choices shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...