Monday, 27 August 2012

Mono Monday: San Francisco by Scott McKenzie (CBS, 1967)

"If you're going to San Francisco... be sure to wear some flowers in your hair..." so goes the anthemic 1967 Number One hit from Scott McKenzie who last Monday it was announced had passed away.

I resisted the temptation to post anything on Retrospace about McKenzie straight away as I knew very little about the American singer except his marvellous 1967 single which I recall first hearing as a toddler from my parents record collection.

The 45 RPM single itself was distinctive in appearance, an orange CBS label with a flower drawn around the hole in the centre of the record.

When you placed the needle on the record itself the sound was pure magic. Bells matched with McKenzie's soft and gentle vocals describing a rose tinted view of the summer of love with a powerful chorus: "...All across the nation...such a strange vibration ... people in motion...".

I may never get to McKenzie's San Francisco but he certainly brought it home to me, indeed the world... thank you Scott!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...