Sunday, 2 September 2012

Bygraves Giving Maximum Entertainment

Advert for Max Bygraves
album - 1970s
Its been nice to hear so many warm tributes to the late Max Bygraves (who died on August 31, aged 89) from the likes of Jimmy Tarbuck and Ken Dodd.

As well as been a popular singer, Max was also an actor and entertainer from appearing on radio in the 50s in Educating Archie to fronting his own TV series in the 70s SingalongaMax.

My Max memories go back to a single 45 given to me as a child from my Mum of a 1964 release of Christmas Dream/Jingle Bells on Lantern Records. I always used to look forward to playing this at Christmas because it was the only record I owned for several years!

I also remember watching Max's TV series SingalongaMax with my Grandad, which also featured appearances from Geoff Love who recorded all those great themes albums on Music For Pleasure.

I also remember a boss of mine been really excited about going to see Max in Darlington back in the 80s and coming into work the following day steaming jealous because allegedly Mr Bygraves had made eyes at his wife while singing a song on stage, needless to say it gave me plenty to laugh about for weeks afterwards.

Then there was the charity shop in Dursley (where I worked for several years) who decorated their windows with several hundred copies of Max LP Singalongawaryears, guaranteeing a permanent fundraising presence for years to come...

A star performer undoubtedly who never failed to raise a smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...