Sunday, 12 May 2013

The Billy Fury Years Reviewed

To coincide with the 30th anniversary of the passing of 60s pop icon Billy Fury, singer Michael King has taken a show out across the UK paying tribute to the sound of Fury.

I caught Michael's show in Cardiff the other week and was impressed by the Mike and his band's ability to recreate the sound of the late singer whose voice I heard quite frequently growing up listening to my mum's record collection.

An excerpt from my review:
"The experience was enhanced with a multimedia screen depicting highlights from Billy Fury’s musical career with an array of TV clips and album covers, while the band performed in the foreground. At one point the screen featured the legend performing in a leather jacket a similar poise reflected on stage by King highlighting his likeness to Fury. 
Highlights included a power performance of Run to My Lovin’ Arms and a rocking delivery of Just Because which saw King catch Fury’s personality whilst bringing his own charm to the proceedings."
After the show I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Michael and his band who kindly signed my programme.

Michael informed me they are planning to tour again with the show next year, so if you get the chance to see Michael performing as Billy Fury, it will be a magical experience!

Read my full review for The Billy Fury Years. St David's Hall, Cardiff

Prior to the concert, I also interviewed Billy's former drummer and ex-Tornado Clem Cattini who gave me some first hand recollections of the man himself:
“Funnily enough he was quite a shy guy,” says Clem.“Then when he got on stage he was outgoing. People say he was the British Elvis Presley. He was Billy Fury, he didn’t copy anybody.”
Read my interview with Clem Cattini :  Billy Fury remembered in new tribute show - Clem Cattini interview


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...