Saturday, 22 June 2013

Recalling 1963: The Beatles in Abergavenny

It was 50 years ago tonight The Fab Four played one of their few gigs in Wales, Abergavenny Town Hall to be exact. Of course back then they had literally only just released their first album and on the verge of Beatlemania but as many people have remembered they were still brilliant.

Barrie Herbert, guitarist with The Fabulous Fortunes, who supported The Beatles on the evening of their Abergavenny Town Hall gig told me:“Without a shadow of a doubt, they were absolutely fantastic. It was a magical time for anybody I think.”

Abergavenny has remembered The Beatles visit this weekend with two special concerts at The Borough Theatre.

Last night four members of John Lennon's original Quarrymen played there while tonight it was the turn of The Cavern Beatles.
Last week I interviewed Rod Davies of The Quarrymen who shared some great memories from the 1950s and his Quarrymen days and also a non-memory - ironically the famous day when John Lennon met Rod's Quarrymen successor Paul McCartney:

“I don’t even remember Paul on the famous day when John and Paul first met,” laughs Rod. “People always say, ‘where were you?’ and I always used to say, ‘I must have gone home for my tea’. Later, for a joke, I started to say ‘I must have gone for a pee’. There’s this moment in rock ’n’ roll history and I went for a pee!"

 You can read my full interview with Rod Davies here: Meet The Band: The Quarrymen - Rod Davies Interview

You can read more memories of Barrie Herbert's meeting with The Beatles here: Fabulous Fortune Barrie remembers The Beatles Abergavenny gig

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...