Saturday, 21 September 2013

Retro Vinyl: Anatomy Of Love by Vikki Carr

I have to admit to knowing very little of Vikki Carr's material, perhaps my only knowledge of Vikki was her UK No.2 1967  hit It Must Be Him, a fabulous ballad with lots of brass and gusto.

Therefore when browsing through a selection of albums in a charity shop a few weeks ago I was intrigued when I came across her 1965 album Anatomy of Love.

Giving it a spin, this LP is  a bit of a lost classic to my ears. Vikki knocks out 12 tracks many of which are standards lending themselves to a jazz/easy-listening style. Her powerful vocals with the ability to switch between the ballad None But The Lonely Heart to the edginess of  Everything I've Got give this album plenty of diversity whilst taking in familiar standards such as Put On a Happy Face, Them Their Eyes, Heartaches and  I Only Have Eyes For You and given them her own magical twist  along the way.

Bob Florence and Mort Garson's musical arrangements naturally add to the jazz feel of this album, allowing Vikki's voice to find a natural and certainly sounding comfortably at home platform.

The album even came with a commendation sleeve note by respected musical theatre actress/singer Ethel Merman saying of Vikki "I am confident that her tremendous talent and ability will insure her great success in every area of the theater."

Vikki Carr - Anatomy Of Love
Liberty LBV1284

Side 1
  1. Put On  a Happy Face
  2. Them There Eyes
  3. None But The Lonely Heart
  4. Baby face
  5. Heartaches
  6. I've Grown Accustomed To His Face

Side 2
  1. Everything I've Got
  2. Cross Your Heart
  3. Look At That Face
  4. I Only Have Eyes For You
  5. That's All
  6. Real Live Boy

1 comment:

  1. Vikki Carr is the kind of artist who is at home in many genres, but the type of material she covers on this vintage album is nothing short of classic. A true stylist, her take on "I Only Have Eyes For You" makes the listener forget that he or she has ever heard any other version. Choose a decade from the last fifty or so years, and you are sure to find something wonderful to enjoy, courtesy of Vikki Carr, a consummate artist and a true pop survivor.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...